(Las Vegas, Dec. 4, 2014) — Clark County School District’s Nevada Learning Academy at CCSD today announced the start of the Home for the Holidays: Help a Homeless Teen Drive to benefit Project 150, a nonprofit that offers support services to homeless high school students in the Las Vegas area. The campaign, which begins today, will run through Dec. 22.
Valley residents are invited to donate necessities, educational items and clothing for the homeless teens. Project 150 items needed include:
• Clothing: Jackets, sweaters, beanies, gloves, sock, new male/female undergarments
• School Supplies: Backpacks, college rule filler paper, notebooks, 1”- 2″ View Binders, highlighters, flash drives, regular and scientific calculators, protractor /compass sets, pencils, erasers, sharpeners, black ink pens, pocket folders, binder dividers and combination locks
• Hygiene Essentials: Hair spray, hair gel, shaving cream, razors, after shave, deodorant, colognes, perfumes, tooth paste, tooth brushes, mouth was, combs, brushes, sanitary napkins, tampons, make up sets, facial wipes, blow dryers and flat/curling irons
• Food: Gift cards for fast food eateries, granola bars, Pop Tarts, ready-to-eat bowls, oatmeal individual packs, snap-top can meal items, microwave popcorn bags and fruit cups
• Miscellaneous Essentials: Bus passes, and Payless Shoe Store gift cards, purses, custom jewelry accessories, belts, wallets, food and grocery store gift cards and department store shopping bags with handles
The Nevada Learning Academy at CCSD, 3050 E. Flamingo Road, will serve as one drop-off point. Additional drop-off locations are being provided by community partners Crazy Pita and Fisher & Phillips LLP. Staffers and students at Nevada Learning Academy will gather items and stuff backpacks on Dec. 23.
• Fisher & Phillips LLP
3800 Howard Hughes Parkway, Suite 950
Las Vegas, NV
• Crazy Pita
10975 Sage Park Dr. #100
Las Vegas, NV, 89135
• Crazy Pita
Town Square Las Vegas
6587 Las Vegas Blvd. S.
Las Vegas, NV, 89119
• Crazy Pita
The District at Green Valley Ranch
2225 Village Walk Dr #175
Henderson, NV, 89052
“We are very happy to be able to give teens in need a helping hand,” said Jesse Welsh, academic manager, Innovative Learning Environments for Nevada Learning Academy at CCSD. “In addition to our holiday efforts, NVLA has wonderful programs that give high school and junior high students a convenient option to obtain their diplomas in even the most difficult of circumstances. We hope that kids struggling with homelessness won’t give up on their educations. We can help them succeed.”
ABOUT NEVADA LEARNING ACADEMY AT CCSD
The Nevada Learning Academy at CCSD is Nevada’s premiere online academy, serving students in grades 6 through 12. Courses are offered on a full- and part-time basis and are designed to meet the needs of students seeking opportunities for honors and advanced placement courses, those seeking the flexibility of schedule offered by online classes, better one-on-one student-teacher feedback, or those facing challenges that make attending a traditional brick-and-mortar school difficult. Students can participate in multiple course pathways including teacher led, independent study, and credit by exam courses. For courses with open enrollment, students can begin coursework any time in the school year.
Clark County School District’s Virtual High School and the Academy for Individualized Study High School are now part of NVLA at CCSD. For additional information on the educational options offered at NVLA, please visit nvlearningacademy.net or call (702) 855-8435.