800 Associates and $25 Million Transition Former Food 4 Less Stores to Smith’s
Media coverage opportunities:
- March 4, 7:45 a.m.: Grand Opening Ceremony with North Las Vegas Mayor John Lee and other dignitaries at the 2255 Las Vegas Blvd. store, featuring music by the Canyon Springs High School band and ribbon cutting.
- March 5, 10-11 a.m.: Celebrity Bagging event, “50 Bags for 50 Bikes,” to benefit Big Brothers Big Sisters, kicked off by Las Vegas Mayor Carolyn Goodman at the 3602 E. Bonanza Road
LAS VEGAS, Feb. 24, 2015 – Smith’s is growing in a big way. On March 4 at 8 a.m., the grocery retailer will simultaneously open six new Southern Nevada stores, each of which received more than $4 million in renovations, marking a significant investment from Smith’s in the Southern Nevada community.
The new Smith’s locations were formerly Food 4 Less stores. As Food 4 Less (a sister division of Smith’s under the Kroger Co. umbrella) exited the area, all of its 800 employees were trained and transitioned into positions with local Smith’s stores, including the six new locations.
At each of the new locations, former Food 4 Less customers can enjoy increased Smith’s amenities including pharmacy, deli and bakery counters, service meat and seafood departments, floral selections and self-checkout stations. The new location at 8180 Las Vegas Blvd. will also offer fresh sushi, Boars Head deli meat, and the first Murray’s Cheese in Nevada.
“We are delighted to bring new services and a wider selection of items for our new customers by opening these six new stores throughout the Valley,” said Jay Cummins, Smith’s president. “Having the familiar faces of former Food 4 Less associates greet them in these new Smith’s stores will make their visits even more enjoyable.”
In addition to the $25 million for store remodels, Smith’s also is investing in the community in charitable ways. As part of its grand opening, Smith’s will donate $25,000 to Communities in Schools of Nevada to help support its partner schools in neighborhoods around each new store. Smith’s will also donate 50 bicycles to Big Brothers Big Sisters.
Smith’s currently operates 37 locations in Southern Nevada. The six new stores are located at:
- 3030 W. Craig Road
- 4001 S. Decatur Blvd.
- 3602 E. Bonanza Road
- 2255 Las Vegas Blvd.
- 4965 E. Sahara Ave.
- 8180 Las Vegas Blvd.
Smith’s is celebrating the grand opening of its new stores with its new customers in a variety of ways:
- March 4, the first 300 guests through the door at each new store will receive coupons for free breakfast items; stores will be filled with free tastings; raffle tickets will be given out at each new store for a chance to win $300 gift cards in four drawings held throughout the day.
- March 7, 1-3 p.m. Elvis and Angry Orchard will make appearances at each new store.
- The Nevada Health Centers Mammovan will be offering free mammograms from 9 a.m.-4 p.m. starting March 4 at the 2255 Las Vegas Blvd. North store; March 5 at the 4965 E. Sahara store; March 6 at the 8180 Las Vegas Blvd. South store; April 1 at the 3013 W. Craig Road store, and April 2 at the 4001 S. Decatur Blvd. store.
- Smith’s Fan Fest parking lot events with driving simulators and show cars will take place March 7 from 1-5 p.m. at 3602 E. Bonanza and 8180 Las Vegas Blvd, and March 8 from 1-5 p.m. at 2255 Las Vegas Blvd.
- Throughout the month of March, several nonprofit health organizations, including American Cancer Society and American Diabetes Association, will offer information to help Smith’s customers “Spring into Health.”
Smith’s is a division of the Kroger Co. (NYSE:KR), one of the nation’s largest retail grocers. From its division office in Salt Lake City, Smith’s 15,600 associates serve customers in 139 stores throughout seven western states.
Smith’s Media Contact: Marsha Gilford (801) 556-1634
The Ferraro Group: Holly Silvestri (702) 340-6262 / Latoya Bembry (702) 278-1000 / Laura Carroll (702) 234-6352